The Hardest Habit To Break — Procrastination

Objective

I want to focus on breaking my bad habit of procrastination — always leaving things until the last day to finish. Procrastination makes me feel stressed and disorganized, even when I have good plans. To change this habit, I will start small by setting short daily goals, such as making a simple to do list and completing everything on it each day. Through these small daily actions, I aim to reach my ultimate goal to take action immediately instead of only imagining it in my mind. When my thoughts and actions are aligned, I will feel more accomplished and live a more efficient life. I will use reminder apps like Habitica to help me stay disciplined. By repeating these actions for 66 days, I hope to build a good habit of taking action on time and stop wasting time on procrastination.

Reflective

This reflection explores how I worked to overcome procrastination using several psychological ideas. First, dopamine acts as a reinforcer in habit formation. According to Duhigg (2012) and Clear (2018), habits follow a loop of cue, routine, and reward, where dopamine provides satisfaction after completing tasks. I noticed that finishing even small goals made me feel good and more motivated to continue. However, this also revealed a small bias. Sometimes I focused on easy tasks just to feel rewarded.

Visual tracking became another helpful motivator. Using calendars and checklists gave me a clear sense of progress. Bandura’s (1997) self-efficacy theory explains that seeing progress increases confidence and encourages further action. Still, I sometimes felt a conflict between real productivity and simply wanting my progress to look perfect.

Thaler and Sunstein (2008) suggested that people avoid losing what they already gained , a concept known as loss aversion. Once my streak of productive days grew, I didn’t want to break it, which helped me stay consistent. Finally, Lally et al. (2009) found that building a new habit can take anywhere from 18 to 254 days. This reminded me to stay patient and persistent instead of expecting quick results.

Through this process, I learned that overcoming procrastination is not about perfection but about creating small, repeatable wins and trusting that persistence will lead to lasting change.

Interpretive

I chose to challenge my procrastination habit because it has silently affected many parts of my life - my studies, personal goals, and even my peace of mind. Over the years, I often delayed tasks until the last minute, which caused unnecessary stress and guilt. However, as I grow older and face new responsibilities, I realize that time is my most valuable resource. By practicing self-discipline and setting small, daily goals, I can start to rebuild trust in myself and create a sense of control.

The benefits of overcoming procrastination are both emotional and practical. I would feel calmer, more confident, and more productive. Completing tasks earlier allows me to enjoy free time without guilt and to perform better in school and future work. In the long term, better time management means more success and stronger mental health.

Of course, there are disadvantages too. Breaking an old habit requires patience, and there will be days when I feel frustrated or tired of being disciplined. It may even make me feel anxious at first, as I confront the things I used to avoid. But in the end, learning to take action immediately is an investment in my future self.One that will save me from stress, regret, and missed opportunities.

Decisional

To overcome procrastination, I will use the “Reminders” app on my phone to list my daily tasks and set automatic alerts. Each time I complete a task, I will delete it from the list to keep my goals clear and organized. If I finish all my tasks for the day, my reward will be allowing myself to watch one YouTube video. This simple system will help me stay consistent, focused, and motivated to take action on time.

Bibliography

Bandura, A. (1997). Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company.

Clear, J. (2018). Atomic habits: An easy & proven way to build good habits and break bad ones. New York: Avery.

Duhigg, C. (2012). The power of habit: Why we do what we do in life and business. New York: Random House.

Lally, P., Van Jaarsveld, C. H. M., Potts, H. W. W., & Wardle, J. (2009). How are habits formed: Modelling habit formation in the real world. European Journal of Social Psychology, 40(6), 998–1009.

Thaler, R. H., & Sunstein, C. R. (2008). Nudge: Improving decisions about health, wealth, and happiness. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.



留言

  1. Your blog has a lot of information with thorough research, which is very interesting to follow.

    回覆刪除
  2. I can relate to this blog because I also have a habit of putting things off, so I really connected with the content and thought it was great that you’re making an effort to improve it.

    回覆刪除
  3. I agree the points you wrote in the article “People avoid losing what they already gained , a concept known as loss aversion. ” , “Overcoming procrastination may even make me feel anxious at first, as I confront the things I used to avoid.” Overthinking can easily stop us from moving forward, causing us to procrastinate repeatedly. In fact, it seriously affects our motivation and ability to take action, and constant anxiety can also reduce our sense of happiness. I hope we can all live more proactively and enjoy a joyful life.

    回覆刪除

張貼留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

My Journey to Life Balance

How to Show Confidence at Work